Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blog #8: Mark Bezos, A life lesson from a volunteer firefighter

            I took away from this talk that no matter how insignificant an act of generosity may appear to be, what somebody did for you was still important and valuable. Even though you may feel your act has been overlooked, your act of generosity was equally as important as the act that may have been broadcasted on the news. Also I got out of this that if someone gets assigned the duty of doing something you have always wanted to do, do not do your job halfway just because you did not get assigned what you want.  For example, in music, many singers sing small parts in popular songs that do not get acknowledged. Although I am not a huge fan of Ke$ha, she sang a small part in a song that made the billboard. The acknowledgement was a little late, but it was certainly still there. Her small act of singing a small part in a song even got her so famous that now she is producing new albums by the month of songs that do make the Billboards.
            His presentation style consisted of purely talk. The talk was so short, that there would have been absolutely no time for photos. Also, his story was him saving a burning house. Nobody was going to sit around and take pictures of the burning house while others tried to get all of the necessities out of the house, so he had absolutely no pictures. His presentation did not even need pictures. It was one of those stories where you did not need photos in order to understand the situation. He just sat there and talked. Since the video was only six minutes long, it was not a big deal that he just sat there and talked. I would argue that he did not have much time to show pictures and explain them.
            This connects to me personally, because sometimes when I am doing group projects, I feel as though what I did was practically useless to what the rest of my group did. Sometimes I even feel like what I did was far superior then what any of my group members were doing. However, this video has helped me realize that without the help of my other group members; I might not have gotten the grade that I wanted. Also in lacrosse, I felt as though I was not good enough because I was not starting. Although I came in five minutes after the beginning of the game, I was still equally as important as the girls who started.
            This connects to education, because sometimes when teachers assign students to do certain things, many of the students feel as though they are being punished, because they did not get to the best part. I hope that many students realize that just what they are doing is equally as important as the job that may be coveted by all students. Even teachers may sometimes feel like they got put with the less desirable classes. Even though these teachers are not  teaching the desirable class, I hope that they realize that the teaching the less desired classes is equally as important as the more desirable classes.
            This connects to the world, because everyday people feel as though the kind things they do in this world are unimportant. Many people think that if their boss asks their co-worker to do something else that may appear more important that their boss does not appreciate them. This causes a feeling of unappreciation. This feeling of unappreciation exists within almost every office in almost every state in the United States. If people just realized that the kind things that they do are not overlooked, then they would be better off as a society, because many people feel that it is better to do nothing at all then to do something and feel as though it was overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment